Re: Re-engaging the Samba4 LDAP backend

> I'm trying to pick up the ball again on the OpenLDAP and Fedora DS
> backends, and hopefully to bring them back up to speed as a working and
> respectable solution.
>
> LDB will always be the Samba Team's primary backend for Samba4.  This is
> particularly the case as there seems no reasonable prospect that we will
> do DRS replication against the OpenLDAP or FedoraDS backeed.  (This
> simplifies the requirements dramatically).
>
> However, we do need them to work, as far as practical, for the rest of
> Samba4's DC functionality.  The things I need soon from the backends
> are:
>
>  - a replacement for the Samba4 rdn_name module.  For OpenLDAP I have
> tried out  ITS#6055 but it fails, sadly.
> http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Development?id=6055;selectid=6055

I've just sent you a fix
<http://www.aero.polimi.it/masarati/Download/pierangelo-masarati-2010-03-30-rdnval.2.c>
(OpenLDAP's ftp says "disk full").

We also need to discuss a rationalization of Samba 4 support, as I wonder
whether piling up overlays that are specifically meant for one setup is
the good choice, or we'd better integrate them in a (few) single
module(s).

p.