Re: OpenLDAP does not seem to start

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:28 PM -0600
> sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:
>

>> Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>>> --On Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:50 AM -0600

>>> I suggest looking into the "db_recover" command that matches with the
>>> version of BDB that your OpenLDAP is linked against.  I'm not certain
>>> why
>>> you didn't spend some time trying to get error messages from slapd
>>> after
>>> rebooting, certainly nss_ldap isn't going to provide anything useful
>>> about why LDAP fails to start.
>>
>> Thanks.  I will look at the db_recover.  I actually could not find any
>> log
>> files on slapd unless I am looking for the wrong thing.
>>
>> I looked in /var/log, /var/lib/ldap, /var/run/openldap and other places,
>> but could not find any logs.  I checked the ldap.conf and slapd.conf
>> file
>> also to see if it had the location of where they were, but all I saw was
>> 256 log level.
>
> Read the slapd man page
>
> Specifically read up on the -d option for setting a debug level at startup
> for help with things like when slapd won't actually start up all the way.

Will do.  I had found some old notes about doing a 'slapd -d 1' to start
in debugging mode or something and I had done that, but it has been at the
'slapd starting' line ever since.  I'll give it 15 minutes or so while I
read up on the man page and see what it says.  I am guessing this is the
same place it hangs while actually rebooting the server.

Hopefully I can get this going today so everyone can get back to work. :)

Thanks again.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?