Re: slapcat kills slapadd

--On November 18, 2009 5:50:59 PM +0100 Peter Mogensen <apm@mutex.dk> wrote:

Yes...
Knowing that I would have expected slapcat to fail/crash.

I think you're missing the point. *slapadd* with -q expects no other tools to be touching its environment. It makes perfect sense to me that it crashed.

But I wouldn't expect slapadd to crash to - being the first to open the
BDB environment.
If any slapadd can be crashed by any user/shell executing slapcat (with
write perms to the dir), then it can be difficult to protect an long
running (hours) slapadd from being crashed by accident.

I'd suggest then not allowing random users to slapcat your directory. And if you have processes that run slapcat, then set that up in a shell script with protections, like you touch a file called /etc/noslapcat and if that exists, then your process will exit without running slapcat.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc