ppolicy password warnings

Hi,

I'm planning to implement the ppolicy overlay in our repository and a
major doubt came out.
Suppose I got ppolicy overlay up and running and pwdMaxAge=10368000
(120 days) and as I've been googling around pam_ldap has the ability
to provide user warnings about password expiration.
My question is, will the userland apps like Thunderbird, Horde IMP
(via passwd module), Samba provide password warnings to the end user?
How will the user get warned when his/her password is about to expire?
Is this something that the directory server will provide?

Regards
-Gustavo