Re: Limiting finger lookup access on Linux

Thanks to everyone on this list that helped with this problem.
The answer (as with most answers) was in the documentation:

[from `man nss_ldap`]

       nss_base_<map> <basedn?scope?filter>
Specify the search base, scope and filter to be used for spe-
              cific  maps.

I created a nss_base_passwd line looking like this:

nss_base_passwd ou=Accountssub?|(uid=user1)(uid=user2)(uid=...

it's dirty, but works until I upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.4 and can use the memberOf= search filter.

This successfully limits the output of getent passwd to just the users I want. It also limits the info that finger gives to just those users.

Hope this helps someone else.
-Rex