Sycrepl cookie question

(2.4.17; linux, bdb 4.5 backend; two nodes in a multi-master configuration)

When I start up a slapd server, it reads the contextCSN from the database.  There are some synchronization issues I’m dealing with (see the email I sent yesterday to this group).  The question of the day is,  what are the implications if I delete this from the database before I start up?  That is:

Assume that in a 2-node multi-master scenario, both sides are completely in sync.  One of the nodes goes down; assume that the remaining node gets some updates.  The down node comes back up.  If the down node does not have this synchronization cookie, will it still sync correctly with the other node?