Replace Active Directory with OpenLDAP and Others

Both,

Thanks for the info

> To get a drop-in replacement for AD you probably should ask in a Samba forum; AD does a lot more than just LDAP service and you need Samba to bring all the pieces together. If you only need directory service, then we can talk about it more here. But when migrating off MS, you typically need more than just LDAP to work...

I will ask there then, thanks for the tip

>> I was wondering if there is an uptodate guide/tutorial/howto to
>> replace Active Directory.
>> I found http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html but that was last
>> updated in 2005.
>>
>> Also I could not find any references to people actually having
>> replaced Active Directory.
>> In my head it should be possible, but replacing MS products does not
>> always make sense in practice. ;-)
>>
>> I have not yet had the time to fully work through the howto. but
>> either way I will give it a try (well a couple probably)
>>

> There is currently no drop-in replacement for Active directory in open
> source world. Samba in conjunction with LDAP gets as close as replacing
> NT4.0 domain controller. This is a legacy in MS world and has it's
> disadvantages over Active directory.
> I recommend reading the following SAMBA docs
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
I've been looking at samba a couple of times in the last couple of years.
But in it's current form, it is only suitable for SMB/CIFS imho

Thanks for the help and the info!

Regards,

Serge Fonville