Re: Replace Active Directory with OpenLDAP and Others

Serge Fonville wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if there is an uptodate guide/tutorial/howto to
replace Active Directory.
I found http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html but that was last
updated in 2005.

Also I could not find any references to people actually having
replaced Active Directory.
In my head it should be possible, but replacing MS products does not
always make sense in practice. ;-)

I have not yet had the time to fully work through the howto. but
either way I will give it a try (well a couple probably)

Has anyone have any experience or advice with this?

To get a drop-in replacement for AD you probably should ask in a Samba forum; AD does a lot more than just LDAP service and you need Samba to bring all the pieces together. If you only need directory service, then we can talk about it more here. But when migrating off MS, you typically need more than just LDAP to work...

--
  -- Howard Chu