Cannot dynamically delete olcOverlay configuration object

Title: Cannot dynamically delete olcOverlay configuration object

As part of an emergency failover situation, I was attempting to change a syncrepl provider to a syncrepl consumer.  When I tried to delete the olcOverlay={0}syncprov,olcDatabase={1}bdb,cn=config object, I received a Server is unwilling to perform (53) error.  Can this be accomplished dynamically or do I have to make the changes while slapd is not executing?

Barry Colston