Use of syncprov overlay in slave

I am wondering whether it is possible to use the syncprov overlay in the
slave database?

The configuration at hand consists of two masters in mirror-mode and
n-replica's in syncrepl-mode. The client application connects to one of
the replica's and attempt to use the SyncControl to monitor the replica
for changes.

Both the master's and replica's have been configured with 'overlay syncprov'.

When the client application connects to one of the masters and a changes
in made in the other master, the application gets notified about the
change through the SyncControl.

However when I connect the client application to one of the replica's and
make a change in one of the master's the client does not get notified
about the change.

When I look into the replica database directly the change made on the
master is visible though.

So I'm wondering is it possible to use the syncprov overlay in the slave
database? And what would be the correct configuration to achieve this?

The version of openldap I'm using is 2.4.13

Any help is appreciated.
/Rob