Re: OpenLDAP Mirror Mode configuration

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:41:42 -0600, Matt Kassawara <battery@writeme.com>
wrote:
> I'm running mirror mode on a pair of VMs and haven't noticed any issues
> with
> replication.  If you're using VMware ESX/ESXi 3.5, I recommend
configuring
> Linux guests with the kernel boot parameter "clocksource=acpi_pm" and
> configuring VMware Tools to handle clock management in the guest.  Verify
> NTP isn't running in the guest.  Also, making sure the Linux kernel
> periodic
> interrupt timer runs at 100 Hz instead of 250 or 1000 Hz can reduce
timing
> issues.  VMware provides some documentation on best practices for
> performance tuning I'd recommend reading.

Yes, I have read these (but was using VM workstation). Also, My
experimentation was during last summer 2008 and at the same period VMWare
switch from "DO NOT USE NTP in Guest, instead VmwareTools" to "Use NTP"
without any explanation ...

The main trouble was when modifying on both side "too quickly".

Other testings with differents applications show up that virtualization is
no good for timing-picky application (but it is going off-topic ;)

Thanks for the sharing.

Sincerely yours, Mathieu.