Re: Mirror Mode question

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:21 PM -0700 Ivan Ordonez <iordonez@nature.berkeley.edu> wrote:

Why is it that when I shut down host1, both openldap and samba stop
working on host2? I thought the purpose of mirroring is to have a backup
server to take over in case the other fails?

Depends on how you configured your clients to handle fail over. If you've done it right, it'll happen just like you expect.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc

Here is our setup and we thought we had it working the way we want but failed when we did the test this morning.

Host1 and Host2 are both configured as PDC by way of samba and using UCARP at the same time. We test UCARP, and could see that it is working fine. I configured openldap for mirror mode and things are working as expected. I can add machine, user to the domain without any issue. We can access shared drive without any issue as well. I can make changes using smbldap tools in node2 and the changes are clearly seen on node1 and vice versa.

I decided to shutdown one of the machine just to see if the failover will work and to my surprise, it did not. Can someone please advise? what changes do I need to do on the client machines? anything I need to do on node1 and node2? maybe instead of having two PDC inside UCARP, make a PDC and BDC instead?

Any advise is greeatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.