Re: solaris patch vs. linux patch

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:

Brett @Google wrote:
> I suspect that some versions of Linux "patch" with automatically convert
> linefeeds.

Could you tell me the distribution you are using?  I'm interested in
implementing similar feature in our patch utility...

core problem was that i was using solaris "patch", if i'd used solaris "gpatch" it automatically strips trailing CRs, ie :

gpatch -p 0 <~/patch.4.7.25.1
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)

Presently running on solaris10 / sparc, can't test linux at work, but that would be using the gnu patch.

Solaris /usr/bin/gpatch has emits version info :

patch 2.5.4
Copyright 1984-1988 Larry Wall
Copyright 1989-1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

written by Larry Wall and Paul Eggert

Cheers
Brett