ldapi -> "Confidentiality required" problem

Hello,

I've configured openldap (v2.4.16 on FreeBSD 7.2) to listen on ldaps (with self signed certificate) as well as ldapi.

rc.cof:
slapd_enable="YES"
slapd_flags='-h "ldapi:///var/run/openldap/ldapi/ ldaps:///"'
slapd_owner="ldap:ldap"
slapd_sockets="/var/run/openldap/ldapi"

slapd.conf:
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=mydomain,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
rootpw          password
directory       /var/db/openldap-data
index   objectClass     eq

security ssf=128
TLSCACertificateFile    /usr/local/etc/openldap/ssl/cert.crt
TLSCertificateFile      /usr/local/etc/openldap/ssl/cert.crt
TLSCertificateKeyFile   /usr/local/etc/openldap/ssl/cert.key
TLSVerifyClient         never

Connecting to ldaps (port 636) with clients such as Thunderbird, Apache Directory Studio works fine. But when I try to connect via ldapi (port 389) from a webmail tool on the same server I always get the error "Confidentiality required" from openldap. I want to connect to ldapi (as it is local on the server) without TLS or other encryption but openldap doesn't seem to allow that in my configuration. I tried localSSF set to 0 which doesn't make any difference...

I'd be thankful for any advice with this issue.

Best regards,
Gunnar