RE: 'unary operator expected' error when TLS turned on - SOLVED

This is worse than I thought.  No commands executed from the bash start
scripts are returning a value.  And, even simple command line commands,
when a sub-shell is required, return nothing.  For instance, when TLS is
turned on, these commands return results:

	cat /etc/hosts
	grep local /etc/hosts
	/usr/bin/id -u
	echo xxx

But the following return nothing:

	cat /etc/hosts | grep local
	echo `/usr/bin/id -u`

In fact, I don't even see the second set of commands hit LDAP (running
slapd in debug mode).

	$ grep local /etc/hosts
	127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
	::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
	$ /usr/bin/id -u
	1805
	$ echo xxx
	xxx
	$
	$ cat /etc/hosts | grep local
	$
	$ echo xxx = `/usr/bin/id -u`
	xxx =
	$

BUT, when I turn off TLS (set 'ssl off' in /etc/ldap.conf)

	$ cat /etc/hosts | grep local
	127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
	::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
	$ echo xxx = `/usr/bin/id -u`
	xxx = 1805
	$

Any ideas why the sub-shell would not go to LDAP?

Thanks,
John

This message is confidential to Prodea Systems, Inc unless otherwise indicated
or apparent from its nature. This message is directed to the intended recipient
only, who may be readily determined by the sender of this message and its
contents. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient:(a)any dissemination or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited; and(b)immediately notify the sender by return message and destroy
any copies of this message in any form(electronic, paper or otherwise) that you
have.The delivery of this message and its information is neither intended to be
nor constitutes a disclosure or waiver of any trade secrets, intellectual
property, attorney work product, or attorney-client communications. The
authority of the individual sending this message to legally bind Prodea Systems
is neither apparent nor implied,and must be independently verified.