Re: Recommendations for adding "MUST" attribute to in-production objectclass?

Michael Ströder wrote:
Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
<demarco@maya.com>  wrote:
Is there a better way of adding a required attribute to an
in-production objectclass?
Stop your server, export your database, use Perl's Net::LDAP::LDIF to add
the attribute to every entry it applies to, put your updated schema on the
server, and reload it with the updated LDIF file.

Or if that gives too long downtime, you can run slapd in read-only mode
with the old database while rebuilding the new database:

According to the unsatisfying discussions we had on one of the mailing
lists about read-only mode and data consistency I find it really
problematic to recommend a procedure which relies on read-only mode.

I'd recommend to update the schema, restart the server and do the
modifications via LDAP.

Restarting the server is not necessary.

--
  -- Howard Chu