OpenLDAP 23 client with 24 server?

Hi All,

Most of our boxes are FreeBSD. FreeBSD has ports for openldap22, openldap23, and openldap24. Not using slurpd much anymore in my setups, I decided to run with openldap24 in our recent setup. Setup openldap24 server, and all the FreeBSD clients have openldap24 clients. Everything is working well.

Recently, we had to introduce a few RHEL boxes into our setup. We're pointing to the redhat repositories, but they seem to only have openldap23-* client packages. I know I could potentially make my own packages, or perhaps get RPM's from the Internet, but I was wondering if by some chance openldap23 clients (and pam_ldap/nss_ldap libraries) are compatible with openldap24 servers? I would assume the other way around (openldap24 clients with openldap23 servers) would work fine.

Thanks!

-Matt