Problems with openLDAP and Samba

Hope this is the right list -

Anyway, I've got openLDAP 2.4.9 on Ubuntu 8.04 along with Samba 3.028

I've got it all installed and used the slapd.d (cn=config) capabilities.

I get no errors on start up or stop, can create, modify and delete users and groups.

However, I cannot create a user in openLDAP that is usable with Samba.  If I go back in and create a Unix user, it will work.  I've installed libnss-lapd and configured it - but is this the way it's supposed to work?  What should I be looking at?

Thanks and sorry for the noob question...

--
Matt Burkhardt, M.Sci. Technology Management
mlb@imparisystems.com