sasl issue - but I don't want sasl atm

I know the security implications of this, but I just want to stage this
procedure and take one problem at a time; trouble is the system wants me
to bite more than I can chew at a given time!

I have setup an ldap server, ldap admin programs can connect to it, but
when I run say ldapsearch it says it can't connect with the following
error:

> SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Local error (-2)

Sure, eventually I'd like to secure things more, but I simply need to
test things at this point. It also gets in the way of other things which
I'm just looking in to right now.

I kinda understand the error code, but I'm not entirely sure what the -2
is; I've been working on the premise that it can't connect because the
security service isn't setup (sasl or krb principal), so I'm trying to
work out how to setup the system to do a simple bind (through ldap.conf?
either /etc/ or openldap/) but I can't for the life of me get it to
cooperate.

Any help? What info is needed here to resolve this?

Cheers