OpenLDAP Load balancing.

Under 2.4.x I would like to have 4 replicas of a master or perhaps just use 4 masters in multi-master replication. What is more important is I would like to provide one IP for LDAP queries. I have seen PEN and POUND and other types of TCP "load balancers" for simple TCP and was wondering what the OpenLDAP community recommends for doing such tasks and the implications of TLS/SSL on these tools.

I thought about DNS round robin, but that doesn't take into account a missing or non-responsive server, whereas a product like PEN seems to do so.

I looked at some older threads regarding this but there don't seem to be any definitive recommendation(s) by the OpenLDAP community whom I feel is the best source for such solutions. :-)

Cheers,
Bill