Re: N-way multimaster error code 53 - shadow context

On 19.02.2009 10:36, Adrien Futschik wrote:
Hy !

it's me again :)

Hi again Adrien ;)

I am still testing n-way multi master replication with OpenLDAP 2.4.14. I
don't know why I could modify my olcSyncrepl attribute from my data bdb.

I am binding with cn=config, and I can modify the olcSyncrepl attribute from
olcDatabase={0}config, but not from olcDatabase={1}bdb !

I am getting this error :
08:57:25: Failed to update entry olcDatabase={1}bdb, cn=config
Reason: [LDAP: error code 53 - shadow context; no update referral]

This appends on both masters. Is this supposed to be like that ? I have
configured cn=config to replicate, this should work right ?

When you configure a database with syncrepl replication, it is marked as a shadow context. This makes sense for the general case when a database is a "slave" of a master server. Trying to update a shadowed database will return the "shadow context; no update referral" error, unless a "updateref" is set on that DB.

However, if you're using multi-master, and have set mirrormode on, this should no longer be the case, and all updates will be accepted.

So you should check:
1) That mirrormode is on
2) That your slapd listeners match your syncrepl providers, as I suggested in another thread

If this is all the case, please give us your configuration, and tell us what operations you do that lead to this situation.

Regards,
Jonathan

--
Jonathan Clarke