From: Gavin Henry [mailto:ghenry@suretecsystems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:03 PM
To: Allgood, John
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Syncrepl Questions

> I am not understanding what happens to my clients if something happens
> to my provider. In some replication systems when the main server fails
> you can start using the machine that was replicated to as your
> primary.

This is called Active-Active Hot Standby and can be done with MirrorMode.

> Does the consumer act as a slave machine?

It can be, depends how you've set it up, which you have told us ;-)

> On each of my
> clients do I point them to the provider/consumer.

It depends on what your clients are doing, if it's all readonly, then point
them at both. Tell us more.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 824887
E ghenry@suretecsystems.com

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

http://www.suretecsystems.com/

Suretec Systems is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered
number: SC258005. Registered office: 13 Whiteley Well Place, Inverurie,
Aberdeenshire, AB51 4FP.

Subject to disclaimer at http://www.suretecgroup.com/disclaimer.html