Re: schemacheck && valid objects check - just to note slapd behaviour

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 06:18:02PM +0100, Piotr Wadas wrote:

> Then I did a slapcat dump - I realized what happened when came up,
> that I cannot load dump back with slapadd, because it contains
> objects, which, actually should generate errors. slapcat backups
> I did in the meantime was actually useless and I didn't note it.
>
> Now, I don't expect slapd to remove or ignore such objects, anyway while
> SERVING (returning), or indexing existing object of such kind, I'd expect
> some warning, that existing object does not conform existing schema.
> Or some tool to verify existing directory objects to find out
> about such situation - imagine if I hadn't been trying to retrieve
> from it for months, I wouldn't have learned it became useless :)

As you are using slapcat for regular backups, the easiest approach is
simply to test each backup after it is made by loading it into a
stripped-down server. You could build this into the backup script and
have it report errors by mail.

Very large DITs will obviously take some time to test, but you could
reduce that by eliminating indexing etc and putting the DB in a
memory-based filesystem. You might even try back-null but I don't
think that will give you strong enough schema checks.

Andrew