Re: OpenLDAP as a 'generic' hierarchical data store

Lorenzo Pastrana wrote:
Let me warn you that LDAP support in PHP is poor and, AFAIK, little

maintained, not to mention development.

Beeing a complete new comer I'm not sure to get how 'poor' you feel PHP
support is ...

Could yo ube a little more specific ?

Does this mean almost unusable / broken ?
Or does this mean so archaic / low level you can't use it without
spending some time baking a more coder friendly API ?

- you can't perform LDAP modify operations on multiple operations with multiple operation types (e.g. combinations of add, replace, delete); this is crucial for atomic modifications
- braindead handling of binary vs. string data
- limited, undocumented access to response structure
- no support for asynchronous operations
- no support for LDAPv3 extensibility (exops, controls)

Note that most of the above has always been available in a decent manner in the corresponding C API.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.
via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it
Office:  +39 02 23998309