Re: Security issue : userPassword is shown

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 09:58 +0800, Paul Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use a 3rd party LDAP browser to browse the users that I created.  I
> can see the userPassword clearly (plain text).
>
> Is there any way to avoid this ?
>
> When I use slapcat command to export to LDIF file, the userPassword
> field is encrypted, but why using 3rd party browser will show the
> password in plain text ?
>
> Thanks

The Base64 encoded value you see in slapcat isn't encryption of any
sort, it just handled the value in such a way that it can't be
misinterpreted as having special meaning in an LDIF file.

You need to use access control rules to determine what attributes are
visible remotely.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett