Re: Differences between MirrorMode and 2-way mulit-master

----- "Almir Karic" <redduck666@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Pavlos Parissis
> <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:
> > Well I must admit I can't read very so I will guess that
> > the reason is to guarantee consistency in the database.
> >
> > How do you guarantee consistency in the database on N-way
> Multi-Master
> > replication where any member can accept write operations?
>
> AFAIK openldap can't do "true" write anywhere. the configuration is
> one "true" master on which writes are happening, the remaining N-1
> masters just issue the referrals to the "true" master which can
> optionally be server side followed with slapo-chain making writes on
> the N-1 "non-true" masters transparent to the clients.

You need to check what you know then ;-) Who told you above or did you make it up?

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#N-Way%20Multi-Master%20replication

Multi-Master means just that. Write to *any* master and replication is handled by Syncrepl not
slapo-chain.

It wouldn't be Multi-master is there was one "true" master, as that's not multi-master!

slapo-chain can be used to "chain" writes back to a Master from a slave.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
OpenLDAP Engineering Team.