Fw: Re: Differences between MirrorMode and 2-way mulit-master

By mistake I replied to Gavin Henry and not the list, I am sorry for this.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:40:17 +0100 (BST)
Gavin Henry <ghenry@OpenLDAP.org> wrote:

> ----- "Pavlos Parissis" <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am experimenting with different replication configurations and I may
> > have a rather silly question.
> >
> > Are any differences between a MirrorMode and 2 node Multi-Master
> > replication?
> > >From configuration point of view they look like the same, but are
> > they?
> >
> > Reading the Admin guide I see that on the MirrorMode configuration
> > example there are no syncpro overlay settings, shouldn't be?
>
> This explains it:
>
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#MirrorMode%20replication

If I understood it correctly, on N-way Multi-Master replication any member can
accept write operations while on MirrorMode only must|should accept write
operations.

I had a MirrorMode configured and I was able to send writes on
both servers and each server was replicating the changes without problems.
The test which I did was very simple, first add/remove an entry on the first
and then add/remove an entry on the second.

So, the above test made to wonder about the differences between MirrorMode and
2-way mulit-master.

what is the reason on a MirrorMode replication to force all write operations to
one of the members of the replication?

BTW, what about the syncpro overlay settings which are not part of the
MirrorMode configuration example?

Thanks,
Pavlos