AW: Re: AW: Re: SASL bind with Kerberos: (was: Simple binds with SASL/GSSAPI (Resource temporarily unavailable))

Hi Quanah,

thanks again for your answer.

> Did you make sure the GSSAPI module was installed with Cyrus-SASL?  IIRC,
> it's a separate package under Ubuntu.
>
> p   libgssapi2-heimdal
> - Heimdal Kerberos - GSSAPI support library
> p   libsasl2-modules-gssapi-heimdal
> - Pluggable Authentication Modules for SASL (GSSAPI)
> p   libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit
> - Cyrus SASL - pluggable authentication modules (GSSAPI)

ii  libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit           2.1.22.dfsg1-18ubuntu2 \\
    Cyrus SASL - pluggable authentication module

> > (b) saslauthd and SASL/GSSAPI are unrelated.  I.e., you don't need to be
> > running saslauthd for SASL/GSSAPI to work.
> > Now I'm confused. I always understood the way to use
> > Kerberos authentication for accessing the ldap directory
> > to be:
> >
> >   LDAP->SASL->Kerberos
> >
> > and that I have to fill the SASL part with something real,
> > like saslauthd. What did I miss here?
>
> SASL/GSSAPI uses the existing Kerberos ticket to auth a user to LDAP
>
> When using saslauthd, you do a simple bind to the LDAP server, which then
> connects to the KDC, gets a ticket, and auths the user.
>
> Two very different things.  I.e., the first, the user already has authed to
> the KDC.  In the second, they haven't.
I see the difference, but still have some questions:

- In the first approach, the user already has a TGT and asks the KDC for
a "ldap/fqdn@REALM-ticket"? This is done by ldapsearch, not by slapd? Hence, slapd
"only" needs access to its keytab to be able to decrypt the clients messages?

- And in the second one, the user provides username and password (plain), slapd converts
the username into a principle (user@REALM) and forwards this to saslauthd? So this should be
secured via TLS?

I'm just looking for a setup that restricts access to LDAP to authenticated users (except,
of course, information neccessary for authentication purposes). I need to use Kerberos
for authentication, because I want to use NFSv4.

There used to be a well-known howto for all this at http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html
but the site is offline for some days now.

Thanks again for your help,

Hauke