LDAP lookup problem

Hello all,

I have a master and a slave Openldap server on an Ubuntu 8.0.4 server
with 2.4.9 version of Openldap.
I'm sing syncrepl to sync data between 2 servers. Data are transfered
from master to the slave without a problem and I'm able to query the
slave ldap via phpldapadmin without a problem.
Having said that, as soon as I add a new user to the master ldap that
is been replicated fine (I can see the user details on the slave
server) but when I run from bash 'id user1' I'm getting an 'id: user1:
No such user.
This is happening no matter if I stop and start nscd or ldap.

The sync part of the slave server is pasted below:

syncrepl rid=001
        provider=ldap://192.168.1.0
        type=refreshOnly
        interval=00:00:01:00
        searchbase="dc=mydomain,dc=edu,dc=com"
        binddn="uid=syncrepl,ou=System,dc=mydomain,dc=edu,dc=com"
        bindmethod=simple
        credentials=mypassword

updateref       ldap://192.168.1.0

and the ACL's into slave are:

access to attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange
        by dn="cn=admin,dc=mydomain,dc=edu,dc=com" write
        by dn="uid=syncrepl,ou=System,dc=mydomain,dc=edu,dc=com" write
        by dn="uid=authenticate,ou=System,dc=mydomain,dc=edu,dc=com" read
        by anonymous auth
        by self write
        by * none

access to dn.base="" by * read

access to *
        by dn="cn=admin,dc=mydomain,dc=edu,dc=com" write
        by dn="uid=syncrepl,ou=System,dc=mydomain,dc=edu,dc=com" write
        by * read

On master slave I can query any user fine. It just doesn't work on slave.
nsswitch.conf is same as master:

passwd: files ldap
group: files ldap
shadow: files ldap

hosts:  files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis ldap

I have no clue how to troubleshoot this problem.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot