Re: Automatically create home directory uppon Email login

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Stelios A. <stelios.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've migrate an old Sun Directory Server to OpenLDAP (version 2.4.9 on
> Ubuntu 8.04 server) and setup a master/slave with syncrepl for data
> replication betwwen 2 servers.
> 1st server hold the master ldap and second the slave along with the
> email server (Sendmail + Dovecot).
> Email server requires ofcourse a home directory with a mbox file etc.
> Is there a way to avoid creating each users home directory and setup
> then his/her permissions?
> There are 980 users in the base dc and trying to figure out a way to
> avoid creating all this directories along with chmod manually.

IMHO a proper solution is to use virtual users, this way you won't
have to have system users for mail to be delivered.

that being said i don't know how would one create home dirs on the
login. you can use a workaround tho, create a script which creates the
home dirs of users (and you can run it from cron to make sure home
dirs for new mails get created as well).

--
For far too long, power has been concentrated in the hands of "root"
and his "wheel" oligarchy. We have instituted a dictatorship of the