Re: Newbie OpenLDAP woes

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 09:14 -0700, Kristen Walker wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to OpenLDAP and this list.  I joined because I am trying to set up
> an OpenLDAP server so that Moodle and ELGG can authenticate users from the
> LDAP server.  It is a little more difficult than I thought it would be, and
> I am running into some frustrating problems that I don't understand.  I am
> hoping someone here might be able to help.
>
> I am using Ubuntu and using the book Mastering OpenLDAP as my guide.
>
> I have the server set up, edited config files and installed phpldapadmin to
> make things a little easier for me.  I added my first entries but do not see
> them when I do a search, and nothing appears under my base in phpldapadmin
> (see attached screen shot).  I don't get any complaints when I add the
> entries from my .ldif file, so I just don't understand why they don't seem
> to end up in my directory.
>

> If I do this command, sudo slapcat -a '(uid=barbara)' , the result is:
>
> dn:
> ou: Users
> uid: barbara
> sn: Jensen
> cn: Barbara Jensen
> givenName: Barbara
> displayName: Barbara Jensen
> mail: barbara@example.com
> userPassword:: c2VjcmV0
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> structuralObjectClass: inetOrgPerson
> entryUUID: 8565f97e-e25b-102c-828c-238ab0ab2691
> creatorsName: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
> modifiersName: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
> createTimestamp: 20080709233555Z
> modifyTimestamp: 20080709233555Z
> entryCSN: 20080709233555Z#000005#00#000000

Try to add the ldif into the database from the regular shell command
line . Input the root DN (cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com) password when
prompted and check. Also , do you have the correct password (shared
secret) in the slapd.conf. IMO you should try to use openLDAP compiled
from the source code rather than using the precompiled version
distributed through ubuntu repository

Thanks
Sambuddho