Re: Need to configure openLDAP client to request authenication in LDAP version 2 format

--On Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:38 PM +0200 Buchan Milne <bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 18:20:28 Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Monday, June 23, 2008 11:28 AM -0400 kenglund <kenglund@sbc.edu>
wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am installing a new version of our Zope/Plone software for hosting
> our web portal.  The new software is using a product called PloneLDAP,
> which (I think) in turn requests authentication using openLDAP client.
> openLDAP is authenticating through our mail server, which wants bind
> requests in version 2 format. Modification of the mail server software
> to use version 3 authentication does not seem to be an option, as
> (according to my Tech guy) it is "really not LDAP", but has an "LDAP
> Like" interface.  The interface requires the bind to look like this:

Either your tech guy is on crack, since LDAP v3 is the current LDAP
protocol version, and has been for many years, or you have a
misunderstanding somewhere along the way of what they were saying.

Or, the software in question *really* only does do LDAPv2. This is the case with a lot of proprietary software from supposedly reputable vendors.

Whether or not the software only does LDAPv2 in no way relates to saying that "ldapv3 is really not ldap". That's why I said either the guy is on crack, or there was a misunderstanding (i.e., the software only does ldapv2, and trying to do ldapv3 would be a hack, etc).

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc