Re: Odd password reset issue

In ES3 bundled openldap - password policy controls are limited to shadow attributes. You don't mention them, but I assume you are using shadow attributes to control when passwords expire. This is a somewhat outdated way of managing password policy. While it's been far from painless we have ppolicy implemented and mostly working in our shop. Overall it's worth the investment as it opens up much more functionality.

Upgrades aside, what you're trying to do should work. There's a few things you can check. First - be aware of what the shadow attributes are set to. This is relevant in troubleshooting. You should look at the shadowLastChange field to see if that is getting updated when a user runs passwd from a client. If this isn't happening try checking whether you have "pam_passwd exop" enabled in your client's /etc/ ldap.conf. I might be wrong here, but I think this might be needed in order to get shadowLastChange updating.

 --AP