Re: slapd[26189]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files

Buchan Milne <bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net> writes:

> Is there any information available on this known problem? Historically,
> we've shipped OpenLDAP built with tcp_wrapper support, but I've been
> wanting to change that, some motivation would make it easier.

TCP wrappers uses stdio.  stdio has a limitation on the number of open
files that it supports due to the layout of the FILE structure that's
smaller than the limit the system supports.  This is an ABI problem on
several platforms (Linux isn't the only one that had this problem) which
is generally fixed as part of the 64-bit architecture change.