Custom Schema

I am quite new to OpenLDAP and cannot seem resolve why slapd does not
start when I add a custom schema. Nothing appears in syslog and  the
following appears when I try to start it:

root@control:/etc/ldap# sudo slapd -d acl
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.7 (Apr 29 2008 08:44:27) $
	buildd@rothera:/build/buildd/openldap2.3-2.4.7/debian/build/servers/slapd
AttributeTypeDescription = "(" whsp
  numericoid whsp      ; AttributeType identifier
  [ "NAME" qdescrs ]             ; name used in AttributeType
  [ "DESC" qdstring ]            ; description
  [ "OBSOLETE" whsp ]
  [ "SUP" woid ]                 ; derived from this other
                                   ; AttributeType
  [ "EQUALITY" woid ]            ; Matching Rule name
  [ "ORDERING" woid ]            ; Matching Rule name
  [ "SUBSTR" woid ]              ; Matching Rule name
  [ "SYNTAX" whsp noidlen whsp ] ; see section 4.3
  [ "SINGLE-VALUE" whsp ]        ; default multi-valued
  [ "COLLECTIVE" whsp ]          ; default not collective
  [ "NO-USER-MODIFICATION" whsp ]; default user modifiable
  [ "USAGE" whsp AttributeUsage ]; default userApplications
                                   ; userApplications
                                   ; directoryOperation
                                   ; distributedOperation
                                   ; dSAOperation
  whsp ")"
slapd stopped.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to resolving this
type of error?