backend shell error

I have compiled OpenLDAP v2.4.8 (./configure --enable-backends=yes
--enable-overlays=yes) and trying to put a shell script on my
slapd.conf to parse LDAP queries. But when I run slaptest I get:
"unknown directive <search> inside backend database definition" error.

Here is my slapd.conf -

include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
pidfile         /usr/local/var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/run/slapd.args
Allow bind_v2
access to dn.base=""
        by * read
access to *
        by * read
backend         shell
database        ldap
suffix          "dc=activedirectory,dc=domain,dc=tld"
uri             "ldap://activedirectory.domain.tld";
search                  shell_script.sh

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.