SOLVED Re: OpenLDAP: slave is not being updated by master and replog is empty

> >> Make sure syncprov was included with the build of
> OpenLDAP
> >> you are running.
> >> Make sure if they use modular builds that you load
> it
> >> first.  And yes,
> >> overlay statements must *always* come last in the
> OpenLDAP
> >> 2.3 release
> >> series inside a given database definition if they
> apply to
> >> a database.
> >>
> >> --Quanah
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > I was able to load syncprov as a module.  It is right
> after the includes.
> > The 'provider' is now running with the
> following syncrepl directives:
> >
> > overlay syncprov
> > syncprov-checkpoint 100 10
> > syncprov-sessionlog 100
> >

> > Here is what I added to my 'consumer' server:
> >
> > syncrepl rid=123
> >      provider=ldap://dc01-ubuntu.example.local:389
> >      type=refreshOnly
> >      interval=00:00:00:10
> >      searchbase="dc=example,dc=local"
> >      schemachecking=off
> >      bindmethod=simple
> >      bindn="cn=admin,dc=example,dc=local"
> >      credentials=secret
> >
> > However, although I am no longer getting any errors,
> it still does not
> > appear to be replicating.  The 'provider' had
> a new user added, but the
> > 'consumer' did not get the change. Where are
> the syncrepl log files
> > specified?  I did not see any entries in syslog, or
> messages.
> >
> > Thank you again for your help.
>
> Why are you using refreshOnly?  refreshAndPersist is
> substantially better.
>
> Have you compared the CSN's of the master &
> replica?  Did you verify the
> replica DB matched the master DB?  IIRC, you were having
> replication
> problems prior to using syncrepl.  Your best bet would
> likely to be to
> slapcat the master and then use that to reload the replica,
> and then see
> whether or not replication works after that point.
>
> --Quanah
>
> --

Thank you for your help.  I was able to get delta-syncprov working (and I would not have known that was the 'right' way to do it without your advice).  I had to make a great deal of changes to the overall setup so posting the 'changes' would be cumbersome, and would most likely contradict my previous configs.  Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction as my understanding of LDAP has matured.

My issue had to do with LDAP as the backed for SAMBA, and I was able to use the samba-wiki to help with my problem.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/2.0._Configuring_LDAP

Be a better friend, newshound, and