Re: DB_CONFIG Problem

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 01:12:23 Luke Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to run my newly built OpenLDAP 2.3 server on a RedHat
> Enterprise server. Since it's installed under the /usr/local directory, I
> modified the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap script.
>
> When I tried to start it up the first time by running service ldap start, I
> received the following error messages:
>
> Checking configuration files for slapd:  bdb_db_open: Warning - No
> DB_CONFIG file found in directory /usr/local/var/openldap-data: (2) Expect
> poor performance for suffix dc=mydomain,dc=com.
> bdb_db_open: db_open(/usr/local/var/openldap-data/id2entry.bdb) failed: No
> such file or directory (2) bdb(dc=mydomain,dc=com): Unknown locker ID: 0
> backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (2)
> slap_startup failed (test would succeed using the -u switch)
>
> When I copy the following DB_CONFIG file from an example, I received
> similar error messages as the above. The DB_CONFIG file that I use is the
> following:
>
> # $OpenLDAP: pkg/ldap/servers/slapd/DB_CONFIG,v 1.1.2.3 2006/08/17 17:36:19
> kurt Exp $ # Example DB_CONFIG file for use with slapd(8) BDB/HDB
> databases.
> #
> # See Sleepycat Berkeley DB documentation
> #   <http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/db_config.html>
> # for detail description of DB_CONFIG syntax and semantics.
> #
> # Hints can also be found in the OpenLDAP Software FAQ
> #       <http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=2>
> # in particular:
> #   <http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=1075>
> # Note: most DB_CONFIG settings will take effect only upon rebuilding
> # the DB environment.
> # one 0.25 GB cache
> set_cachesize 0 268435456 1
> # Data Directory
> #set_data_dir db
> # Transaction Log settings
> set_lg_regionmax 262144
> set_lg_bsize 2097152
> #set_lg_dir logs
> # Note: special DB_CONFIG flags are no longer needed for "quick"
> # slapadd(8) or slapindex(8) access (see their -q option).
>

> The error mesages are the following:
>
> Checking configuration files for slapd:  bdb_db_open:
> db_open(/usr/local/var/openldap-data/id2entry.bdb) failed: No such file or
> directory (2) bdb(dc=mydomain,dc=com): Unknown locker ID: 0
> backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (2)
> slap_startup failed (test would succeed using the -u switch)
>
> Can anyone please help resolve the problem? Thanks in advance!

With the minimal information you have supplied, the most likely problem here
is permissions issues. Ensure that whichever user you run slapd as has write
access to the directory holding the database.

For example, what does this give:

# su - ldap -s /bin/bash -c 'ls /usr/local/var/openldap-data'
?

Regards,
Buchan