Re: logs and I/O Performances

On Monday 31 March 2008 09:47:07 Andre Stoffel wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> We are using 3 LDAP Directories based on Openldap 2.2.23 (number of objects
>
> : between 4000 and 11000 in the DBs) .
>
> The hardware is based on HP servers correctly dimensioned but not oversized
> Â disks resided on an EMC Symmetrix
>
> We try to implement the ldap logs but we have to stop after the first test:
> a common request taking between 1 up to 2 seconds instead of some
> milliseconds.
>
> Has anybody an idea of whatÂs going wrong: setting, architecture Â

No, as you provide insufficient detail.

Do you mean that, when you run without logging, queries take a few
milliseconds? Or That you expect millisecond performance, but never get it?

What OS are you running?

How have you configured syslog (paste the line from syslog.conf if you use
sysklogd or similar on Linux, or a Unix with a similar syslog
implementation).

Are you logging to the same block devices as where the database resides? If
so, why? Have you got syslog logging synchronously or asynchronously?

Regards,
Buchan