Re: Redirect bind requests to another server

Dieter Kluenter wrote:
Andreas Moroder<andreas.moroder@sb-brixen.it>  writes:

Hello,

we have a web application that autenticates via openldap. Now a second
hospital should use this same application, but they have their own
autentication server, active directory in this case.

In our network the users authenticate giving their username ( amoroder
in my case ) and password. Is it possible to configure openldap to
redirect the bind request to the remote server when the username
contains an extension like jsmith@remote ? Does this work with AD as
second/remote authentication server ?

What you are requesting is some sort of X.500 DAP services plus the service of a virtual directory. This could partly be achieved with OpenLDAP,

It can be entirely achieved with OpenLDAP. Using the rewrite overlay to map usernames, you can then relay the requests to either a local DB or back-ldap.

it would be easier to put a virtual directory in front of
OpenLDAP and AD and have all users to authenticate against the virtual
directory[1].

OpenLDAP is already capable of acting as a virtual directory....

-Dieter

Footnotes: [1] http://penrose.safehaus.org/Home

-- -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com Director, Highland Sun http://highlandsun.com/hyc/ Chief Architect, OpenLDAP http://www.openldap.org/project/