Re: basic database design

On Saturday 16 February 2008 14:57:51 VaraPrasad Yalla wrote:
> I  built a basic ldap  server which is now working fine . It presently has
> very few attributes for each of the  entries in the database .
> one of the records now looks like  this :

> dn: uid=test,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
> uid: test
> cn: test
> objectClass: account
> objectClass: posixAccount
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: shadowAccount
> userPassword: {crypt}$1$XViJ4WIc$KIn0R0tQnYaKglIOI5Koj.
> shadowLastChange: 13925
> shadowMax: 99999
> shadowWarning: 7
> loginShell: /bin/bash
> uidNumber: 506
> gidNumber: 506
> homeDirectory: /home/test
> How do I add further attributes like surname , email , street name etc to
> it ?

You send a modification to the LDAP server to add the attributes. However, the
attributes you want are not available with the selection of objectclasses you
have. Additionally, the most common objectclass to use for these attributes,
inetOrgPerson, is a structural objectclass that does not derive from a the
current structural objectclass of the entry (account).

The only way to change the structural objectclass is to re-create the entry.

I note that the PADL migration tools have an option for migrating accounts
with an inetOrgPerson objectclass instead of account (if you use
migrationtools to migrate).

> Where should I make the modifications for these things to be added to
> the database  ?

You use the LDAP utility of your choice to add the sn, mail, st attributes
etc. You may want to consider ldapvi, luma, JXplorer, phpldapadmin etc.

Regards,
Buchan