Exporting LDAP info from Active Directory / Exchange Global Address List

Hi everyone,
Hopefully I'm now sending this to the right list, apologies if not....

I am trying to find a way of exporting most information from the GAL
into an LDAP server.
It seems that OpenLDAP might do what I want, however I'm relatively new
to using LDAP, so I was wondering if someone could give me a few
pointers on how to do this.

It sounds like I need to use a slapd as a Proxy Cache Engine, so I can
cache an AD query (preferably the equivalent of the Exchange GAL) into
OpenLDAP.
People can then use the OpenLDAP server as a Directory source in Outlook
without needing to log in to anything.

I need to do something like this so that people who do not have access
to the Exchange Servers can see (and therefore email) accounts in
Exchange.

I have found some mailing list articles that allude to this, but nothing
specific.
Thank you,

Chris