Re: ldap_search_ext_s: maximum no of entries

> Your problem could be solved in many ways: using a band-aid, or
> designing your client to get rid of self-imposed constraints.

There is a real use case for paged results (at least I had a similar
problem, too): As we had to write a piece of software for a BIG
company with thousands of accounts stored in an Active Directory
server, we had to fetch all accounts from the AD server. Starting
using asynchronous calls, all went fine, until we noticed, that
the SERVER side had a restriction to not give out more than
1000 results per single query.

We could not find a "nice" workaround for this restriction (I dont
know if the AD server CAN not give out more than X results per
query, or whether the admins did not WANT to remove this limit).

We solved this by splitting the "big" query in 26 single queries
(all accounts starting with "A", all accounts starting with "B"
and so on) - but this solution is ugly and does not scale very
well.

So a "real" solution for paged results would have been nice
(until now I did not know RFC 2696).

regards
-stefan-

Dipl. Inf. (FH) Stefan Palme

email: kleiner@hora-obscura.de
www:   http://hbci4java.kapott.org
       http://converter-db.de
icq:   36376278

key fingerprint: 1BA7 D217 36A1 534C A5AD  F18A E2D1 488A E904 F9EC