Re: openldap adressbook

Pierangelo Masarati skrev, on 04-01-2008 20:32:

I've want to set up an email server with dovecot, postfix openldap etc.

Now my problem is to set up an openldap adressbook for Evolution.

I've could add a new contact to the database via Evolution, and can see
the contact via phpldapadmin and with Evolution.
But if I restart Evolution, all contacts are lost (in Evolution, in
phpldapadmin I still could see the conatcts.)

Where is the problem? I've activated all possible log statements, but
there's no needful information. (for me:)

If you can search the data with an independent tool (like phpldapadmin), then the LDAP server is fine. Your problem seems to be with evolution.

As I'm not familiar with that client, my analysis will stop here.

I used to use Evolution 0.8 on Gnome 1 for managing my OpenLDAP 2.0.27 and 2.1.x contacts and users years ago. It was a good (though prone to hiccups) GUI management tool, where one could add users and even groups, if one knew how to.

I even subscribed to the Evolution mailing list and advised people (including the Evolution developers, who weren't too familiar with the LDAP backend) how to do things.

But that was years ago. I've given up Evolution for Thunderbird and SquirrelMail for mail, GQ as OpenLDAP GUI and I add my OL users and groups en masse with Perl and shell scripts, now.

I'd advise OP to subscribe to the Evo mailing list. It was Ximian then, it's Novell now, times change.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw