pls help: performance tuning

Hi all,

I'm using openldap 2.4.21 + BerkeleyDB 4.8.26 on a machine with 4 cores.  The system occassionally does accept connection and get error:

May  9 03:03:31 holiday slapd[2382]: connection_input: conn=645254 deferring operation: too many executing

I currently set thread in slapd.conf to 32 (default x 2).  While I think shouldn't modify SLAP_MAX_WORKER_THREADS, I tried to increase no. of threads, at the cost of read performance.  Besides, after increasing thread to over 32, say 100, I got warning of "threads larger than twice the default".

Would like to know the recommended way to tune the system in our case.  Would anyone pls help?
Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks a lot.
/ST Wong (st-wong@cuhk.edu.hk)