Slave connecting to maser always stay connected?

Title: Slave connecting to maser always stay connected?
I have a setup with 2 masters (nway multimaster) and 4 slaves each having syncrepl set up to connect to the 2 masters.  The question I have, with the following configuration (on the slaves) should they always be connected to the masters?  Netstat is showing that the connections are intermittent:

type=refreshAndPersist retry="60 +"

Netstat on the masters shows that the connections from the slaves will vary – sometimes 0, sometimes 4 – seems to be somewhat random.  We are trying to determine if there is something wrong in our network.  Thanks for the help.

MAT