Re: max open files

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 04:38:32PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Out of fairness want to note that the most significant component of the
> problems with the OpenLDAP packages for Debian (and Ubuntu, to a somewhat
> lesser degree) is that the packaging team has basically no resources.

Interesting about the Debian situation.  Another reminder to me of why
I don't use Debian; the project's concerns about absolute "freedom"
don't mesh with my concerns about getting real work done.

That said, I've seen similar "don't use the distro's package" notes
about other distributions here, too.

I'm a redhat user.  Of course, I should complain to redhat rather than
here, but I only pay them the .edu rate for software updates with no
support.  I don't know the history of the particular (ancient at this
point) version of openldap that RHEL5 includes, or what redhat has done
behind the scenes to fix problems, but i have to say that in general
their policy of stability makes running servers a lot easier.

Of course, redhat has its own ldap server, which might explain why
they neglect their openldap packages.

Again though, I recognize that I get from openldap much more than I
have paid to the project.  Thanks for all your hard work developing
the software.  I suppose if it were super easy to make everything work,
they wouldn't need me here and I'd be flipping burgers.  :)

thanks
danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer