Re: max open files

В Чтв, 18/03/2010 в 12:10 -0700, Howard Chu пишет:
> Alex McKenzie wrote:
> >
> > Right.  But how much do I pay for Apache?  How much do I pay for
> > postfix, sendmail, qmail, or exim?  How about MySQL, or Postgresql?  The
> > real issue, for me, is the version cycle.  All of those packages have
> > minor updates fairly regularly, but none of them change major
> > functionality, and all of them provide packages to various linux
> > distributions, including Debian and Ubuntu.  And most of them have
> > decent free support, at least via the sort of mailing list we're on now,
> > that includes those distribution packages.  They may well tell you you
> > need to install the newest debian package, but they'll almost never tell
> > you that you have to recompile for basic functionality.
>
> Most of those projects just release source code, like us. The packages you see
> on various distros are built by the distro packagers, not by the upstream
> projects.
>
> We'd be happy to tell you to install the newest debian package, if it was ever
> new enough. Because it usually isn't, you usually need to recompile. How is
> this any different from any other software?
>
> There haven't been any major changes to existing functionality in a couple of
> years now. Remember, in the X.Y.Z version number, the Z is just a patchlevel.
>
> If you say "I hit thus-and-such bug in version X.Y.Z" and we say "that's fixed
> in X.Y.Z+10" and you don't want to sync up with that patch, that's your decision.

This is probably an issue. If I'm correct Debian policy prevent version
upgrade, say, if Lenny have 2.4.11 version, they can't put 2.4.17 in it.
Instead, they can backport some patches from 2.4.17 back to 2.4.11 and
make it 2.4.11-1+lenny1. "they" mean maintainers. On Debian there are a
number of them, there is also a list which doesn't seem dead:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/slapd
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-openldap-devel/

So, maybe a correct solution for this situation is to figure out what
patch solves given issue and ask maintainers to backport it. Or maybe
just file a bug on Debian.

--
Покотиленко Костик <casper@meteor.dp.ua>