Re: max open files

I'll be honest:  while LDAP does what I need it to, and is the only tool
I've found that works well for my purposes, this is why I'm constantly
looking for another option.  Just about every request for help I see
come across this list gets an initial response of "Oh, well, you're one
or two minor versions out of date.  You need to update to the newest
version before we can help you."

Software that unstable is not, in my view, really suited to a production
environment.  If the OpenLDAP developers -- who, overall, do an
excellent job -- can't come up with a stable release every six months or
so, there's a problem.  If there are so many major flaws that running a
month old version means it's unsupportable, that's an even bigger problem.

I've been following the list for around a year, and I understand the
difficulties involved in supporting old versions, but the simple fact
is, most of us don't have time to custom compile all our server
software.  My Ubuntu-default installs of Apache, postfix, SSH, and just
about everything else work fine and can be supported by their
developers.  It's only LDAP (and a few things in beta) that absolutely
have to run the newest version at all times.  I chose to accept a
limited feature-set and bullied GnuTLS into working "well enough" for
our limited LDAP environment, but if I ever find an alternative, I'll be
moving away from LDAP to whatever that is.

And please -- nobody take this as an attack.  I really do respect the
OpenLDAP development team, and the people on this list do their best to
help everyone, even those of us using old versions.  I just question the
long-term viability of a system that needs to be recompiled as often as
OpenLDAP seems to.

- -Alex McKenzie