Re: Mirrormode Docs

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

>> to my understanding the admin guide on mirrormode is misleading.
>> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#MirrorMode
>> According to this documentation both nodes have to be put into
>> mirror mode, as far as I understand the concept of mirror mode, and is
>> described in slapd.conf(5), there is one node accepting write
>> operations, that is 'mirrormode on' statement, the other node acts as
>> synrepl consumer and a hot standby only, with 'mirrormode off'.
>> Could someone please correct me, if I'm wrong.
>
> The doc is correct. For seamless failover to work automatically, without any manual intervention, both nodes must be configured identically.

I wonder out of interest, is it legal to have something like the
following on both nodes (that is with two different rid=xxx syncrepl
statements) ?

This would in theory allow the same config on both servers, assuming
it was acceptable config-wise.

Cheers
Brett

--- cut ---

       # Global section

       serverID        1   ldap://ldap-sid1.example.com
       serverID        2   ldap://ldap-sid2.example.com

       # database section

       # syncrepl directive
       syncrepl      rid=001
                     provider=ldap://ldap-sid2.example.com
                     bindmethod=simple
                     binddn="cn=mirrormode,dc=example,dc=com"
                     credentials=mirrormode
                     searchbase="dc=example,dc=com"
                     schemachecking=on
                     type=refreshAndPersist
                     retry="60 +"

       syncrepl      rid=002
                     provider=ldap://ldap-sid1.example.com
                     bindmethod=simple
                     binddn="cn=mirrormode,dc=example,dc=com"
                     credentials=mirrormode
                     searchbase="dc=example,dc=com"
                     schemachecking=on
                     type=refreshAndPersist